Saturday, January 22, 2011


I feel like I just got a backstage pass at a concert of a band I have never heard before. Everyone is really excited, quoting their favorite lyrics, and arguing which track is best. A few people are wearing their favorite band t-shirts. They all seem to somehow fit here. They know what they are talking about. They know the songs, the lyrics, all the band members favorite foods and old habits. I don't even know their names.

I'm adventurous, mostly. Taking chances on things that we would not usually consider when the opportunity arises is something I believe we should do. So, here I am.


As a creative studies student, I had the opportunity to take a class on writing comic books and graphic novels. Mind you, I have never read a comic book save a few Archie comics my mom bought me to keep me occupied while in line at the grocery store. I didn't even know The Watchmen was a graphic novel for several months after its release. It's just not really part of the literary world in which I partake.

I have nothing against comic books, just never really thought about them that much. In fact, growing up, I kind of always thought of them as boy magazines. I had no idea of their historic relevance or their impact on popular culture. I find it fascinating.

So now I must dive right in. Somehow, I need to figure out how I can get myself to fit in this medium and then come up with something worthy of it. Honestly, the latter is a little more than scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment